Xi’an Jiaotong Transport Liverpool University is a stunning University collaboration between Xi’an Jiaotong University and the Russell-Group member, the University of Liverpool. XJTLU is based in Suzhou and is the first Sino-British University between two high-ranking research led Universities.
XJTLU is ranked 12th best University in China, with all courses taught in English.
This is quite remarkable considering it is still a relatively new University, having only been established a small number of years ago. Students, upon completion of their Undergraduate degree, receive two graduate certificates – one from Xi’an Jiaotong University and one from the University of Liverpool.
UK Students will generally study their first year of an Undergraduate degree in China, and then transfer to Liverpool for their final two years. There are many advantages to this including:
- A wide variety of courses available to study such as Accounting, Finance, Engineering, Sciences, Media and MBA.
- A student who does not meet the requirements of the University of Liverpool for direct entry i.e. AAB at A-level, can study for a year in China, and then will automatically be eligible for transfer to study at the University of Liverpool for their final two years. This is regardless of whether or not they had previously met the UoL entry requirements.
- The year spent in China will broaden your skills and experience. You will gain a great deal of independence and responsibility, and this year will significantly boost your employability prospects. A year abroad will look fantastic on your CV!
- Fees for your study abroad year are £8,000 (cheaper than most UK Universities)
- UK students are eligible to the XJTLU Scholarship which usually amounts to 50%+ off your tuition fees for the year in China.
- Upon your return to the UK, you will be eligible for loans & grants for the remainder of your course from Student Finance England.
The XJTLU Summer School
The XJTLU Summer School is an excellent introduction to Chinese culture and study methods. This consists of the following:
- Duration is either 2 weeks or 4 weeks lost
- Tuition fees are incredibly low with the 4 week course costing around £500 and the 2 week course around £200.
- Accommodation is £10 per night.
- Each week = 15 hours classroom based language lessons (Monday to Friday)
- 5 hour culture lessons per week.
This is the perfect course for you if:
- You have never studied Chinese before and want a kick start to this fascinating and vital language
- You have already studied some Chinese and want an effective refresher course
- You want to quickly accelerate your level
- You have a passion or liking for Chinese culture
The course will be taught by award winning teaching staff experienced teaching Chinese as a second language.
Teaching will take place in small classes grouped according to level. All four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) will be taught with a focus on usable, everyday language that you might expect to use while living, working and travelling to China.
- In 2010-11, China was the third most popular destination for UK students wishing to study some part of their degree abroad.
- There are currently almost 36,000 UK students in China.
- Suzhou has over 2,500 years of rich history and it’s local GDP is ranked as the fourth highest in China.
- The location of the campus itself is in Suzhou Industrial Park, which is also the location of over 2,100 International companies, of which over 100 are Fortune 500 companies (i.e. Siemens, L’Oreal and Nokia).
- Suzhou Industrial Park is also home to nearly ten thousand expatriate workers from over 20 different companies. This ensures that XJTLU students are in the midst of an employment hub, gaining valuable life and work experience at the same time.
For more information on how to apply, or if you’d like further details, please get in touch with UKEC at email@example.com (contact number: 0161 228 0062)